State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) Program
The Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade (OEDIT) has been awarded a State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) Program for the third year in a row. Colorado was one of the 24 states chosen to receive the STEP award in FY2014/15. The SBA awarded OEDIT and the Colorado Department of Agriculture (CDA) a $122,512 grant. Through the STEP grant, OEDIT and CDA will run five trade missions that will connect Colorado small businesses to international buyers. These trade missions will be industry specific and open to qualified Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs). The key industry programs include:
- Arab Health (Jan. 26-29, 2015) for SMEs in the bioscience industry (UAE). For more information about Arab Health, please contact Stephanie Dybsky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-892-8762
- ISPO (Feb. 5-8, 2015) for SMEs in the outdoor recreation industry (Germany). For more information about ISPO, please contact Stephanie Dybsky at email@example.com or 303-892-8762
- ZooMark (May 7-10, 2015) for SMEs in the food and ag industry (Italy). For more information about Zoomark, please contact Tim Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org 303-869-9179
- AIMEX (Sept. 1-4, 2015) for SMEs in the energy and natural resources industry (Australia). For more information about AIMEX, please contact Jeffrey King at email@example.com or 303-892-3846
- UK Specialty and Fine Foods (Sept. 7-9, 2015) for SMEs in the food and ag industry (UK). For more information about UK Specialty and Fine Foods, please contact Tim Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-869-9179
The STEP program, now in its fourth year, has two main objectives: increase the number of small businesses that begin to export and increase the value of exports for small businesses that currently export. Results for the STEP program have been very strong over the last three years. For the second round of awards, made in FY 2012, awardees reported a return on investment of federal funds of over $19:$1. The State of Colorado has received two previous STEP awards and maintains a $70:$1 return on investment for the program.
To receive more information about OEDIT's STEP-related programs, please sign up to receive our Export Colorado monthly newsletter.