Region 10 – Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray and San Miguel Counties
The Central Western Slope region (Region 10) includes the counties of Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray and San Miguel. It encompasses over 9,500 square miles with a population of just over 100,000. The region’s clean air and sunny year-round climate is complemented by millions of acres of public land including one national park, two national forests, 14,000-foot peaks, grasslands and canyons. Two major ski resorts and several all-season resort communities are set among Colorado’s most spectacular mountains. There are three major service, supply and retail hubs with more than a dozen small farming and ranching communities.
The population for Region 10 in 2000 was approximatively 89,960 and in 2012 it was 100,562, which is a 11.79% change. Montrose County was the fastest growing within the region at 18.3%, with Delta, Ouray and San Miguel also posting increases in population. People move here for the unique lifestyle, quick recreational access and safe, hometown atmosphere. Noteworthy air service, affordable land, abundant water and a simple regulatory environment makes doing business in the area accessible and convenient, which is demonstrated by the numerous global companies that are headquartered in the area.
The region’s economic development priorities include improving the communications and transportation infrastructure, as well as supporting responsible natural resource-based economic activity. Collaborative economic development efforts focus on fully developing existing companies and attracting innovative businesses and industry.
The Central Western Slope region is a thriving and engaged group of communities that works collaboratively to provide a rich quality of life that attracts an entrepreneurial and creative workforce with an economy that is both globally connected and rooted in a unique hometown spirit.
REGIONAL DATA & HIGHLIGHTS
Primary Companies by Employment
- Delta Memorial Hospital
- Bowie Resources, Inc.
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort
- Oxbow Mining
- Arch Coal Inc.
- Montrose Memorial Hospital
- Russell Stover
- Tuxedo Corn Co.
- Peaks Resort and Spa
- Telluride Ski and Golf
Top 5 Key Industries by Employment
- Food & Agriculture
- Tourism & Recreation
- Health & Wellness
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Advanced Manufacturing
Top 5 Regional Assets
- Noteworthy commercial air services in three geographically-dispersed airports.
- Distinct Colorado lifestyle with high-quality natural resources, productive agricultural land, diverse geography and many recreational amenities.
- Two universities and one technical college are willing to administer workforce development programs.
- Resourceful, hardworking international workforce with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Commerce-friendly governments and straightforward regulatory environment.
Arts & Culture
- The region has three officially designated Creative Districts: the North Fork Valley Creative Coalition, Town of Telluride and the Town of Ridgway.
- Western Colorado State University and Colorado Mesa University – Montrose Campus upgraded to full-service universities.